Raspberry Vanilla Almond Breakfast Quinoa
· 3 cups vanilla almond milk
· 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
· 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
· 1 tablespoon raw honey (or other sweetener of your preference)
· 2 cups fully-cooked quinoa
· 2 tablespoons sliced almonds
· 1 cup raspberries (or other berry of your liking)
· In a small saucepan, combine the vanilla almond milk, cinnamon, nutmeg and honey. Heat over low heat, whisking consistently until the the mixture is combined and warm. Remove from heat.
· In your serving bowls, place the quinoa in the bottom of the bowl. Pour the warm milk mixture over top.
· Garnish with almonds and berries.
· For a chilled version, simply warm the honey for 20 seconds. Whisk the milk, cinnamon, nutmeg and honey. Pour the milk over chilled quinoa and top with almonds and berries.
Quinoa-Banana Skillet Bake
· 4 tablespoons coconut oil
· 1 cup quinoa, thoroughly rinsed
· 2 cups very hot water
· 1/4 teaspoon salt
· 3 medium bananas, diagonally sliced
· 1/2 cup chopped dates
· 1/4 cup shredded unsweetened coconut
· 3 tablespoons brown sugar
· 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
· 1 cup walnuts, toasted and coarsely chopped
Position a rack in the lower third of the oven and preheat it to 375*F/190*C/gas 5.
Warm 2 tablespoons of the oil in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Add the quinoa and stir well to coat the grains. After 3 minutes, add the hot water and salt. Raise the heat to high and bring it to a boil. Reduce the heat to low and simmer, covered, for 10 minutes.
Meanwhile, heat the remaining 2 tablespoons of oil in a 9-inch/23-cm cast-iron skillet [or oven-safe, nonstick pan]. Add the bananas and cook over medium heat for 2 to 3 minutes, turning to brown on both sides. It may be necessary to do this in batches. Transfer the bananas to a plate and reserve. Set the skillet aside for later use.
After the quinoa has cooked for 10 minutes, add the dates, coconut, half the sautéed bananas, 1 tablespoon of the sugar, and 1 teaspoon of the cinnamon. Stir well and remove the pan from the heat. Pour the quinoa mixture into the reserved skillet and spread evenly.
Combine the walnuts and remaining 1 teaspoon cinnamon and 2 tablespoons sugar in a small bowl and stir to blend. Scatter the mixture over the quinoa and spread evenly to cover. Arrange the remaining cooked bananas atop the nut mixture. Bake, uncovered, for 20 minutes, until the top is golden brown and fragrant. Serve hot, warm, or at room temperature.