Three people shot in Minneapolis drive-by shooting on Lake Street 'Things are not getting better'

Three people were shot in a drive-by shooting on Lake Street in Minneapolis on Friday afternoon.

Officers from Minneapolis's third precinct responded to reports of a shooting on the 2200 block of Lake Street, near Hiawatha Avenue, at 3:02 p.m. and located three injured victims, all with potentially life-threatening gunshot wounds: a 15-year-old boy, a 19-year-old man, and a 65-year-old woman, according to the Minneapolis Police Department

Officers provided medical aid until paramedics arrived and transported the victims to Hennepin Healthcare (HCMC) by ambulance. 

One of the victims was a student at South High School in Minneapolis, according to an email sent to parents by the district. 

"I just heard the gunshots, pop, pop, pop, pop, pop, all over the place and people scrambling," said Maria Buenano, who was at an appointment across the street when the shooting occurred.

Investigators believe that the gunman fired the shots from a vehicle that left the area, and the victims were standing on the sidewalk when it occurred. 

Police are not yet aware of any connection between the victims. 

"Sad. We are living in the last days. What can I tell you? Things are not getting better, they are getting worse," said Buenano.

As the Crime Lab collected evidence at the scene, there were markers for 66 bullets scattered in the half block where the shooting took place.

Ironically, all this happened outside the office of T.O.U.C.H. Outreach, a violence prevention group that works with the city to de-escalate community tensions and mentor youth, but luckily no one was inside when the shooting occurred.

"Now we are trying to figure out what's what, how all this transpired, and try and figure out would it escalate to something else," said Saaundre Burns, Team Lead for T.O.U.C.H Outreach.

Witnesses say with all those bullets fired in broad daylight on a busy street, they are glad it wasn't worse.

"You know you are not even surprised anymore. Years ago, you would be shocked, but now its just like ok, another one," said Buenano.

So far police say they haven't made any arrests.