More than 32 years in prison for man who killed Eden Prairie grandfather

Nathan Foth was sentenced to more than 32 years in prison for murdering a 74-year-old Eden Prairie man, Hennepin County Attorney Mike Freeman announced Friday.

Foth, 24, of Le Seuer, pleaded guilty in May to breaking into the home of Allen Retzer and staying in his basement before slipping upstairs and stabbing him in the neck while Retzer was asleep in his bed.

Back in May, Foth admitted he had been at a hospital emergency room being treated for a drug emergency. After about an hour he was released, but he didn’t know where to go. In the past, he had gone with a friend to visit his friend’s grandfather in Eden Prairie. He decided to go to that house and was able to push open a basement window. Foth said he then hid in the basement for about two days, often staying in a closet so he would not be found by Retzer.

During that time, Foth said he was hearing voices and he was having discussions with himself. However, by the time he decided to take a knife and go upstairs, he was no longer hearing voices.

Later that night, Foth found Retzer in bed and a struggle ensued. Foth admitted to stabbing Retzer several times, and said he knew what he was doing and it was not self-defense.

Once Retzer was dead, Foth admitted that he stole a gun case, alcohol, groceries and a van. He also cleaned himself up in the bathroom before leaving.

The van was later recovered in Utah and police arrested Foth when he returned on a bus from Oregon.

Eden Prairie Police statement:

"On Friday, July 22, 2016, Eden Prairie Police Officers arrived to check on the welfare of 74-year-old Allen Retzer, who was discovered deceased inside his home under suspicious circumstances. With assistance from the Hennepin County Sheriff’s Office Crime Lab and Medical Examiner, it was determined Retzer was the victim of a homicide.

"In the months that followed, our Department conducted an extensive nation-wide investigation to determine what had occurred and who was responsible. I am extremely proud of the investigators who worked tirelessly on this case and ultimately arrested the individual responsible.

"As the sentencing portion of the trial comes to a close, we think first of Allen, his family and friends – and we hope that by bringing justice in this case we have helped bring closure to them, and to all those in our community affected by this tragedy."