Minneapolis police squad car strikes uninvolved car during pursuit, killing driver

A Minneapolis police squad car that was pursuing an armed robbery suspect early Tuesday morning struck an uninvolved vehicle, killing the driver. 

According to the Minneapolis Police Department, around 12:30 a.m., officers were searching for an armed robbery suspect near 6th Ave North and Lowry Ave when officers saw the suspect’s car. 

Police pursued the suspect to the area of North 41st Avenue and North Lyndale Avenue. While traveling northbound, the squad struck a car traveling westbound in the intersection. The squad then went into the southbound lane and struck another car. Both the officer and the driver in the westbound car were taken by ambulance to North Memorial. 

The officer suffered serious, but non-life threatening injuries. The driver of the other car, identified as 40-year-old Leneal Frazier, died of his injuries. The driver in the southbound vehicle was uninjured.

The victim’s daughter, Lanesha Frazier, said her father was heading to his girlfriend’s home at the time.

"This is not fair, not right," she said. "I didn’t expect that to be my father. I’m really grieving because all these police out here, they’re not watching what they’re doing… they need to watch what they’re doing, innocent people out here being hurt."

Amia Lovelady said Frazier was her mom’s longtime boyfriend. She said she heard the crash and raced over, having no idea she knew the victim until hours later. 

"It’s just so sad because we literally just talked to him. It’s just so crazy," she said. "The car was just so smashed. We didn’t notice it was his car until this morning."

Family members have confirmed to FOX 9 that Leneal Frazier was the uncle of Darnella Frazier, the Minneapolis teen who captured the video of George Floyd's deadly arrest.

Minneapolis Police Spokesman John Elder said it is policy that during pursuits, lights and sirens are activated. Crash reconstruction and the investigation are currently being handled by the Minnesota State Patrol. 

The suspect fled the scene and is not currently in custody.