Investigators identify Minneapolis officers involved in weekend shooting

The police officers who shot and killed a man in north Minneapolis over the weekend were identified Tuesday by the Minnesota Bureau of Criminal Apprehension as Ryan Kelly and Justin Schmidt.

Both officers are now on standard administrative leave following the incident, which left Minneapolis man Thurman Blevins, 31, dead from multiple gunshot wounds.

Officer Ryan Kelly has been with the department since 2013. Officer Justin Schmidt has been with the department since 2014.

Officer Kelly has five complaints against him, none of which resulted in punishment. Officer Schmidt has three complaints against him, one is still open and the other two went without punishment.

Schmidt was an instructor with a Minnesota-based company called Archway Defense, which offers training for law enforcement and members of the military. According to his biography, he was motivated to join the military after the attacks of September 11. He's been teaching firearms and use of force since 2007.

The incident began Saturday when an anonymous 911 caller reported a man was walking around with a gun on the 4700 block of Bryant Avenue North. The caller "provided very detailed information about the appearance and descriptions," according to an MPD spokesperson. Police then reported a second call of a person in the area walking and firing a silver 9mm handgun into the air and subsequently into the ground.

According to the incident detail report, the call was categorized as "officer needs help." The officers arrived on scene at 5:31 p.m. and by 5:43 p.m., it says they are "by patient." 

Blevins was reportedly sitting with a woman near the intersection of 48th and Camden Avenues North when officers pulled up, according to a preliminary report from the Minnesota Bureau of Criminal Investigation. He immediately fled the scene, with police reporting he was carrying a gun. Sometime during the ensuing chase officers fired their weapons, striking and killing Blevins. 

The BCA said the officers' body camera footage captured the incident, though according to Minnesota state law the footage likely won't become available until after the criminal investigation--which is still ongoing--concludes.