Man charged in deadly Wisconsin attack with circular saw

A roofing worker in Wisconsin is now charged after he allegedly killed another worker by attacking him with a circular saw, according to the criminal complaint.

Miguel A. F. Navarro, 24, of St. Louis, Missouri is charged with first degree intentional homicide and mayhem. Navarro faces up to life in prison.

According to the criminal complaint filed in Pierce County Court, Navarro was hired as part of a four-man roofing crew to replace shingles at a home on County Road FF near River Falls, Wisconsin. The attack happened on Monday around 4:21 p.m. 

Two of the roofers told police they were working on the roof when Israel Valles-Flores handed Navarro a circular saw. Navarro then immediately cut into Valles-Flores' neck. Valles-Flores took several steps and fell backwards onto the garage roof, where Navarro continued to attack him with the saw. The other workers jumped off the roof and hid until police came. They told investigators there was not an argument between Valles-Flores and Navarro before the attack.

Police found a "very bloody" circular saw on the ground below where they found Valles-Flores' body on the roof. Navarro also had blood on his pants and boots.

According to a preliminary autopsy, Valles-Flores had 10 sharp force injuries throughout his body, including his face and neck. The saw cut his jugular vein and carotid artery.

In a recorded call from the jail, Navarro appeared to explain why he attacked Valles-Flores. The other workers had apparently been teasing Navarro because he wasn't feeling well after having unprotected sex with a woman he didn't know. Navarro seemed to give a few reasons for why "it" happened, saying he was mad about being teased, he thought he was "being drugged" to work more and "didn't feel right," and that he wasn't getting paid.

“My brother was a good person—he was the best father—a good provider—a good husband a good son,” said Maria Valles, Valles-Flores’ sister.

Maria Valles is still trying to make sense of the devastating murder of her younger brother.

“The last time he was [in St. Louis] was two weeks ago and he was so happy and he said ‘You know what I’m still going to be working there another couple of weeks because I found another group that they’re willing to work with me,’” she said.

She says her brother worked different construction and roof repair jobs all summer throughout the Midwest to provide for his family. He now leaves a wife, three young daughters and a big family behind, many who are still in Mexico, and waiting to give him a proper funeral.

“My mother is waiting for him in Mexico—how are we going to handle this pain?” she said.

For GoFundMe information, click here.