CULVER TOWNSHIP, Minn. (KMSP) - Two young children were severely burned Saturday night after a fire in a shed in northern Minnesota.
According to the St. Louis County sheriff's office, authorities were dispatched to an address off Highway 2 in Culver Township around 8 p.m. on a report of a shed on fire and two children burned.
When deputies arrived, they found two kids, age 5 and 6, with severe burns to their bodies. Deputies provided medical aid until EMS arrived on scene and transported the two children to a local hospital.
Deputies investigated and learned the two children were playing in the shed when they tipped over a gas can, spilling gasoline on the floor. The children then attempted to clean up the spilled gasoline using an electric Shop-Vac that ignited in flames, causing the children's clothing to catch fire as well as the shed.
Authorities also learned that both children suffered second degree burns to approximately 20 percent of their bodies. Both are currently being treated at a local hospital.