Minnesota runners brave harsh weather in Boston Marathon

Monday marked some of the worst running conditions in thirty years at the Boston Marathon.

Rain, wind and even a little bit of snow mixed in as runners lined up at the start of the Boston Marathon on Monday. The weather system also wreaked havoc on dozens of Minnesotans trying to fly to the east coast, and some almost didn’t get home.

It was a scramble at MSP Airport over the weekend as the blizzard forced them to shut down for nearly nine hours.

But runners trying to get to Boston were not going to let a little snow get in their way of a medal.

From massive amounts of snow on the runway to selfies on the flight, the 122nd Boston Marathon will be remembered for a long time.

“They couldn’t get the tug to push the plane away from the gate. We’re never getting out of here, we’re not going to be at the race,” runner Sara Geier said.

Many Minnesota runners were stuck at MSP Airport all day Saturday, just to be put on a flight Sunday and then taken off again because of delays.

Sara Geier made it to Boston late Sunday night. Then, she got a quick snooze and got up early to grab her race packet.

The four-months pregnant mom battled through treacherous conditions to make it across the finish line.

Jeff and Bekah Metzdorff own the Mill City Running store. They said they’re never run in such horrible weather, but it was all forgotten when they saw the finish line.

"You’re not quite sure where the line is and when you turn and see, you’re like, ‘this is awesome,’" Bekah Metzdorf said.

And now that this hardy group of Minnesotans have their medals, they're looking forward to a few days of sight-seeing in Boston--only to return to the metro on Wednesday where more snow is in the forecast.

“You just can’t catch a break. It’ll be one of those events that’ll create some long lasting memories I’m sure,” runner Mike Trulson said.

Some runners we talked to were already on their way back to the Twin Cities Monday night.