Gabby Petito disappearance shines light on still-unsolved missing persons cases
The high-profile search for Gabby Petito came to an end this week after the FBI confirmed her remains turned up in Wyoming – but the search is ongoing for many other Americans who remain missing.
Here are some of the most prominent cases.
Day, a 25-year-old graduate student from Illinois, was last seen in Bloomington on Aug. 24. His family in Danville and a faculty member at Illinois State University reported him missing after he did not show up for class for several days.
GABBY PETITO: SEARCH FOR BRIAN LAUNDRIE AT CARLTON RESERVE ENTERS FIFTH DAY: LIVE UPDATES
As of Monday, a news release by the Bloomington Police Department confirmed officers are still investigating and seeking leads in regards to Day. A body found during the search for Day is waiting for identification from the Illinois State Police crime lab, according to Officer John Fermon.
Anyone with information about Day is asked to contact BPD Detective Paul Jones at 309-434-2548 or at Pjones@cityblm.org.
Holloway mysteriously vanished without a trace during a 2005 high school graduation trip to the paradise island of Aruba.
Her puzzling disappearance sparked a worldwide media frenzy and a massive search of the island. Though an Alabama judge declared her legally dead in 2012, Natalee's body was never found, and to this day, it is still a mystery what happened.
But one detail that has never swayed is the central suspect involved: Joran van der Sloot.
He and Holloway met at a hotel-casino that summer night, and witnesses say they saw the pair leave a nightclub together. But what transpired next has been in question ever since.
Holloway’s father and a private investigator recently sat down with Fox Nation host Nancy Grace.
"A Natalee Holloway Investigation with Nancy Grace" is available to stream now on Fox Nation.
HAWAII GIRL, 6, MISSING FOR OVER A WEEK; POLICE SUSPEND SEARCH
Lauren Spierer, right, a 20-year-old student at Indiana University, disappeared June 3, 2011. Police say Spierer was last seen walking alone and barefoot to her apartment complex in downtown Bloomington, Ind.
LAUNDRIE ATTORNEY SAYS BRIAN'S 'MISSING,' AS GABBY PETITO'S UNCLE RIPS LAWYER
Spierer, a 20-year-old Indiana University student, vanished after partying with friends. National media shined a spotlight on the case, but official and private searches turned up nothing.
Spierer was last seen walking to her apartment at 4:15 a.m. on June 3, 2011. Immediate search efforts were made all the more urgent by a heart condition that required Spierer to take daily medication.
Fox News has reached out to the Bloomington, Indiana, police department for any updates on the investigation now more than a decade old.
Her family still operates a Facebook page, with the last status update posted Aug. 7.
Dulce Maria Alavez
Now 7 years old, Alavez has been missing for two years. According to her poster on the National Center for Missing and Exploited Children website, she was last seen on Sept. 16, 2019, at the Bridgeton City Park behind Bridgeton High School in New Jersey at approximately 4:20 p.m.
REWARD FOR MISSING IDAHO BOY MICHAEL JOSEPH VAUGH, 5, GROWS TO $26G
When NCMEC was contacted regarding this story, a spokeswoman suggested the following children’s names to include to garner more attention in their searches: King Walker, Vanessa Morales and Ava Baldwin.
CLICK HERE TO GET THE FOX NEWS APP
Anyone with information regarding any of these cases is urged to contact law enforcement.
- FBI confirms Gabby Petito's remains found in Wyoming; manner of death 'homicide'
- How social media sleuths can help -- and hurt -- a case like Gabby Petito's
- Gabby Petito investigation: 911 call reveals Brian Laundrie seen hitting, 'slapping' her before disappearance
- Gabby Petito’s possible remains found near where Tampa family spotted camper van
- FBI removes loads of evidence from Laundrie family home in connection with Gabby Petito's disappearance
- Gabby Petito updates: Everything known about her disappearance
- Gabby Petito case: Timeline of 22-year-old woman's disappearance
- Police speak with TikTok user who claimed to give boyfriend Laundrie a ride
- Gabby Petito's family, North Port police chief express frustration with Brian Laundrie's silence
- Missing woman's haunting songs on Spotify account may provide answers
- Gabby Petito showed behavior of victim in Utah bodycam video, domestic violence counselor says