ST. PAUL, Minn. (FOX 9) - You might feel like a million bucks for getting a COVID-19 vaccine, but you won't win $1 million from Minnesota.
Gov. Tim Walz announced Thursday that the first 100,000 people who get vaccinated between May 27 and June 30 will be eligible for their choice of several freebies, including state parks passes and State Fair tickets. Walz made the move as he pushes toward the 70 percent vaccination threshold for people ages 16 and older.
Minnesota joins several other states that are offering incentives. But Walz said he decided against doing a $1 million lottery, as Ohio, Colorado and California are doing.
"In those states, it’s all or nothing," Walz told reporters at Fort Snelling State Park. "Somebody might get $1 million but 100,000 are getting nothing. Here in Minnesota, everybody’s getting something."
The list includes passes to Duluth’s Great Lakes Aquarium and Mall of America’s Nickelodeon Universe, a Minnesota Fishing License, a Minnesota State Parks pass, Minnesota Zoo admission, Northwoods League baseball tickets, State Fair tickets, Valleyfair tickets or a $25 Visa gift card.
Walz didn't rule out offering more incentives later, and said he wanted to "tailor this to Minnesota attractions" with the initial round. The funding will come from federal COVID relief money, he said.
Starting June 1, Minnesotans can verify their first dose and choose their reward at mn.gov/covid19/summer. Rewards requests must be submitted to the Department of Health by 11:59 p.m. June 30. Rewards will be fulfilled throughout June and no later than July 16.
People who got vaccinated before May 27 are not eligible.
"The first thing I would say is, thank you for doing that (getting vaccinated). The second thing is, you did get something. You got immunity both for you and your community," Walz said.
As of Thursday, 64 percent of Minnesota adults had gotten at least one vaccine dose. Five counties have already hit the 70 percent threshold, including Hennepin and Ramsey. Eight other counties -- including most of the Metro suburbs -- are within 3 percentage points.
Here are the details about the rewards from the Governor’s office:
Great Lakes Aquarium Pass
- Eligible for one entrance to the Great Lakes Aquarium in Duluth. Valid until July 1, 2023. The Minnesota Department of Health will provide recipients’ contact information to the Aquarium which will mail tickets to Minnesotans who select this option.
Mall of America Nickelodeon Universe Pass
- Eligible for a 30-point ride pass at Nickelodeon Universe that can be redeemed through September 1, 2021. The Minnesota Department of Health will provide recipients’ contact information to Mall of America who will send information to redeem the pass.
Minnesota Fishing License
- Eligible for one individual Minnesota resident annual fishing license effective through February 2022. Must be redeemed by July 30, 2021. Recipient must be eligible to hold a Minnesota fishing license. The Minnesota Department of Health will provide recipients’ contact information to the Department of Natural Resources which will reach out to Minnesotans to complete their fishing license application.
Minnesota State Parks Pass
- Eligible for one Minnesota State Parks annual pass. Minnesotans will receive the pass in the mail from the Department of Natural Resources. The Minnesota Department of Health will provide recipients’ contact information to the Department of Natural Resources which will mail the State Parks pass.
Minnesota Zoo Admission
- Eligible for one adult admission at the Minnesota Zoo through September 8. The Minnesota Department of Health will provide recipients’ contact information to the Minnesota Zoo which will email information in order for Minnesotans to redeem their admission.
Northwoods Baseball League Tickets
- Eligible for one reserved ticket to attend a Northwoods League baseball game during the 2021 season. The Minnesota Department of Health will provide recipients’ contact information to the Northwoods League and Minnesotans will call the ticket office of the team they select and provide their full name and address for verification to reserve their ticket. Tickets are based on availability at the time of calling. Participating teams include the Rochester Honkers, Willmar Stingers, Mankato MoonDogs, St. Cloud Rox and the Duluth Huskies.
State Fair Tickets
- Eligible for two admission tickets to the 2021 Minnesota State Fair. The Minnesota Department of Health will provide recipients’ contact information to the State Fair which will email tickets no later than July 16, 2021.
Valleyfair Single-Day Admission
- Valid for one Valleyfair admission ticket and the chance to purchase additional tickets for the same date at a discounted rate during the 2021 season. The Minnesota Department of Health will provide a unique code via email in order for Minnesotans to redeem this offer.
- Eligible for a $25 Visa Card to be used anywhere Visa is accepted. Minnesotans will receive the cards by mail or email from the Minnesota Department of Health or a State of Minnesota Vendor.