Cigarette likely caused St. Paul house fire at Manomin and King

Five people escaped an overnight house fire in St. Paul that firefighters believe was caused by a discarded cigarette. The fire started on the front porch of the home at the corner of King Street West and Manomin Avenue, just after 1 a.m. Monday.

One of the people inside felt the heat of the fire, woke up, and saw flames.

All 5 five people inside were able to make it out safely, and the Red Cross is helping them find a place to stay.