Chicago school bus driver shot in head on West Side

Image 1 of 4

FOX 32 NEWS - A Chicago school bus driver was shot in the head Friday evening in the West Garfield Park neighborhood.

The shooting happened in the 4300 block of West Jackson at about 5:33 p.m.

"I was just devastated, I was really devastated and it broke my heart because anything could've happened. Anything could've happened," said student Destini Small.

Chicago police say the driver of the bus, a 31-year-old man, suffered a graze wound to his left ear from either a bullet or shattered glass. The bullet came through the driver’s side window and went out the right side of the bus.

There were 32 juniors from Christ the King Jesuit College Prep on board, as well as a chaperone. They were returning from a conservatory work program that takes the students to jobs in the city.

For one parent who actually lives on the block, it was frightening and frustrating all at the same time.

“You just live in constant fear, and we should not have to live in fear. Every single day like they have no regards, they don't care, bus full of kids like you said it's broad daylight and you're just shooting like there's nobody out here, but they don't care,” said Shawnetta Murry.

Police say the shots were by someone standing on the block who was apparently aiming at a passing car that was headed the opposite direction of the bus.

There are numerous pod cameras in the area and police will be reviewing that hoping for leads.

The principal at Christ the King said the students were very shaken by what happened, but fortunately they were all okay.

“We thank God that our students were safe, our prayers are with the driver and his family at this time, and we follow our crisis plan and make sure that we provide extra support for the students so they can process this and are employees so they can process this. It's traumatic for all of us,” said Temple Payne.

“I'm shocked, but then again I'm not shocked because I know of the violence that goes around this community. But I know that God will continue to protect me and I'm glad that I was not on the bus, but I am very sad and heartbroken for those who are on the bus and witnessed what it happened,” Small said.

The victim was transferred to Mount Sinai Hospital in stable condition. Police say the man suffered non-life threatening injuries and will be ok. He will be discharged from the hospital Friday night.