Standoff ends after 2 deputies shot in Winsted; suspect dead

An hours-long standoff that followed after two McLeod County sheriff's deputies were shot while serving an arrest warrant on Monday in Winsted, Minnesota has ended.

In an update around 6:30 p.m., deputies said the standoff was over and the suspect was found dead inside the home. The circumstances of how the suspect died aren't yet known.

There was a heavy police presence Monday afternoon due to the investigation, with the City of Winsted asking residents to "avoid all vehicle and foot traffic" in the area of Linden Avenue East and Pheasant Run "until further notice." 

Authorities said the two deputies made contact with the subject of the arrest warrant and made entry into the home, at which point rounds were fired, McLeod County Sheriff Tim Langenfeld told reporters Monday. The two deputies were taken to the hospital.

"It's kind of nerve wracking because it's so close to daycare where I have two kids and she's got 11 kids. So I'm sure all the parents are kind of worried and wondering what's going on now," said Tom Ulrich.

This all started around noon when two McLeod County sheriff's deputies were shot while trying to serve several arrest warrants to a man in one of the houses in the neighborhood.

Image 1 of 5

Two McLeod County deputies were shot on Jan. 23, 2022, while serving an arrest warrant in Winsted, Minnesota.  (FOX 9)

There was a daycare within 150 yards, so a S.W.A.T. team escorted the children out in armored vehicles, while other homes around the suspect's house were evacuated or residents were told to shelter in place.

"We're going to take it slow. Continue to attempt to contact. Use the different resources we have available to us and see what we can come up with," said McLeod County Sheriff Tim Langenfeld.

By early evening, law enforcement used technology from the Wright County Sheriff's Office to enter the house and found the man dead in a bedroom.

"They have a robot that was able to open the door. Flew some drones inside the residence. We were able to get the robot inside the residence. Able to open the door, fly through the house and secure the residence that way. Much safer for everybody than sending in personnel," said Langenfeld.

A short time later, residents were allowed to return to their homes,  while the deputies were taken to a nearby hospital.

Both have been released and are back home with their families.

"Obviously this isn't the outcome we wanted for anybody since there is another family here hurting right now. But from our standpoint with the families that are involved, it's good news," said Langenfeld.