Antioch father dies after eating nacho cheese

Image 1 of 2

An Antioch man has died after eating nacho cheese from a Sacramento area gas station.

The San Francisco Coroner confirmed to KTVU that Martin Galindo-Larios, 37, was taken off life support on Thursday. 

A GoFundMe site has been set up for Galindo. who is described as a father of two who is the breadwinner of the family.

Five people were hospitalized after eating nacho cheese from a Sacramento gas station, California officials said.

California Department of Public Health testing confirmed that the gas station-nacho cheese sauce tested positive for the toxin that causes botulism. 

Health officials have connected 10 botulism illness cases to Valley Oak Food and Fuel gas station in the Walnut Grove suburb. 

“While there are still unanswered questions about this outbreak, these tragic illnesses are important reminders to be vigilant about food safety,” said CDPH Director and State Public Health Officer Dr. Karen Smith. “As we head into the summer barbecue season, both indoor and outdoor chefs need to be on guard against all foodborne illnesses.” 

Botulism, a rare food poisoning and nerve toxin, can lead to paralysis, breathing difficulty and sometimes death.

Officials with California Department of Public Health say symptoms of botulism include; double or blurred vision, drooping eyelids, slurred speech, difficulty swallowing, dry mouth and muscle weakness. 

One of the people sickened last month has filed a lawsuit against the gas station.

Lavinia Kelly has been in the hospital for three weeks and is unable to speak. Kelly also can't keep her eyelids open, her partner, Ricky Torres said.

Officials have stripped the gas station of its permit to sell food and drinks. Employees have not responded to requests for comment.


Information from: The Sacramento Bee,