by Sally McGraw, alreadypretty.com
Safari is a look that comes around virtually every summer, and although it can work for women of all ages and sizes, it can also get a little costume-y. Here are some tips for doing safari, but subtly.
- The best way to approach this look is to maintain a neutral palette, but only include one obviously safari-influenced piece per outfit. A cargo jacket with epaulets is a versatile piece, and paired with cargo pants it would be too much - but with an abstract camo-print dress, it works beautifully.
- Drapey cargo pants are another great piece for this look, but pair it with a plain, neutral top and statement jewelry to keep it from looking too over-the-top
- Even something as simple as an olive drab silky blouse worn with antiqued gold jewelry can evoke this look.
Safari-influenced pieces can be thrifted, so do check secondhand resources! But here are a few great pieces:
1. Two-pocket Linen Shirt, $69 at J.Jill, in regular, petite, tall, and plus sizes
2. Caslon Linen Utility Jacket, $88 at Nordstrom, 1X - 3X also in coral, black, or ivory
3. Jacquard Shift dress, $34.94 at Old Navy, XS - XXL, also in petite and tall