St. Paul Fire Department: Hoverboards linked to fire incidents

The Saint Paul Fire Department warned Thursday that the newly popular hoverboard has been linked to fires.

"Getting the hottest gift this holiday season is great, until it literally becomes hot and starts a fire!" the fire department wrote on their Facebook page. "There have been several incidents of hoverboards and their Lithium-Ion batteries causing fires."

According to the National Fire Protection Association (NFPA), some hoverboard fires have involved the Lithium-Ion battery or the charger. Warning signs include leaking fluids, excessive heat, odor, sparking, and smoke.

Many airlines have actually banned hoverboards. If you plan to fly with one, be sure to check with your air carrier. When riding in the car, keep the board where you can see it in case it shows signs of a problem.

NFPA hoverboard safety tips

Choose a device with the seal of an independent testing laboratory
Read and follow all manufacturer directions
An adult should be responsible for charging the hoverboard
Do not leave a charging hoverboard unattended
Never leave the hoverboard plugged in overnight
Only use the charging cord that came with the hoverboard
Stop using your hoverboard if it overheats