(FOX 9) - This week is National Animal Shelter Appreciation Week and FOX 9 is celebrating by hosting an 11:45 a.m. segment with the Animal Humane Society each weekday.
Most people know about adopting animals, but what about fostering them?
Friday, Daniela Vonarx with the Animal Humane Society stopped by along with Nicole Rickard, a foster, to talk about why they need foster families, especially for big dogs.
Be sure to follow along all of FOX 9's Shelter Appreciation Week at 11:45 a.m. on FOX 9 News at 11 a.m. Also, be sure to check FOX9.com for all the segments.
Here is the schedule for the week:
- Monday: How shelters behavior test dogs
- Tuesday: How to find a lost pet: Return rates of microchipping and lost cats
- BONUS: During the FOX 9 Buzz--How to make sure you pick the right pet for your family
- Wednesday: How do animal shelters determine breeds?
- Thursday: What is an open admission shelter and what does "no kill" really mean?
- Friday: Why foster families are needed, especially for big dogs