CENTER LINE, Mich. - A Michigan man tried to kill a spider at a gas station using a lighter, causing a dangerous fire. He somehow escaped serious injury and the gas station's damage was contained to one pump, which was destroyed. The incident was captured on video at the gas station in Center Line, Mich.
Employee Susan Adams kept calm and hit the gas automatic stop button and quickly called the Center Line fire department.
The man grabbed a nearby extinguisher and put out the flames before firefighters arrived. Later he admitted what he did, saying he spotted a spider on his gas tank and because he's deathly afraid of the critters.
He pulled out his lighter and decided to burn it. You don't have to be a rocket scientist to figure out what happened next.
Employees at the gas station have been having fun with the video ever since. But the man's embarrassing mistake didn't stop the man from coming back the next day as a customer.
"He was sorry," Adams said. "He was sorry, he said he didn't know. It is just one of those things that happen - stupidity."
Adams said this serves as a reminder about being careful around gas pumps. Whether it is using a cell phone or static electricity, the smallest spark can cause a gas station fire.
The accident is expected to be covered by the station's insurance.