Minnesota storm damage: Floods, power outages, split trees and sewer geysers

Image 1 of 4

Six cars got trapped in high waters near Fairview Ave and HIghway 36.

Severe thunderstorms brought heavy rains and damaging winds of up to 80 mph in western Minnesota and the Twin Cities metro on Tuesday, snapping trees, knocking out power and causing flooding in low lying intersections throughout the region.

Power outages

More than 250,000 homes lost power during Tuesday night’s storms, according to Xcel Energy. By 10 a.m. Wednesday, 68,000 customers were still without power, mostly in the Twin Cities metro.

Cars trapped in Roseville floods

In Roseville, 6 cars were trapped by flash flooding at the intersection of Fairview Avenue and Highway 36. The Roseville Assistant Fire Chief said at least 6 people were taken out of the cars, without any injury. 

Fire crews in Roseville also and to respond to a handful of house fires believed to caused by lightning. At one point crews in Roseville were responding to 15 calls of downed power lines.

Minneapolis geyser

Evan Hamson sent us video of a Minneapolis storm sewer blowing its top. WATCH IT

Trapped in the car in Maple Grove

In Maple Grove, Minn., trees, power lines and fences were toppled by the storm. Gillian Renstrom captured video of trees falling one by one right next to her house. She said she was just coming home from work when the storm reached its climax, forcing her to stay in the car outside of her own home.

"It was scary,” Renstrom said. “I had my kids and my dad in the house and I was trying to communicate with them. I just kind of waited it out and hoped and prayed."

Storm damages Minneapolis construction site

In Minneapolis, the storm damaged a construction site at 100 Hennepin Ave, according to a Ryan Companies spokesperson. Due to flying debris, a nearby property received some minor damage. No one was hurt. Crews secured the site. Officials don't expect a delay in construction.

In Minneapolis, on 17th and Monroe high waters trapped one car. A reporter on scene said it appeared that the driver got out safely.