Charges: Man who stole Oakdale police squad car had talked about 'suicide by cop'

Image 1 of 2

Photo Courtesy: Washington County Jail

A 21-year-old man has been charged with multiple crimes after he allegedly stole a police squad car and led officers on a chase in Oakdale earlier this week.

Carter Jerome Favors Jr. of Eagan is charged with one count of assault with a dangerous weapon, one count of theft of a vehicle, one count of attempted theft of a vehicle, one count of interfering with emergency communications, two counts of fleeing police and one count of reckless driving.

According to the criminal complaint, Monday around 10:15 a.m. an Oakdale police officer was looking out his office window when he saw a vehicle drive toward a playground where kids were playing. The officer noticed a woman had to run into the play area to avoid being hit.

More officers saw the vehicle drive through the park. They began to follow the car and attempted to pull it over. The driver, later identified as Favors, ignored the police and sped off before crashing into a garage near the 6900 block on 27th Street North. Favors got out of the car and held a cell phone as if it was a gun and told police to shoot him.

He eventually got into an Oakdale police squad car and took off again. At the time, the squad car had a 12-gauge shotgun and a .556 caliber AR platform rifle inside it. While driving the squad car at speeds as high as 75 mph, Favors got on the emergency radio and began "taunting officers and yelling." One person on a motorcycle had to swerve out of the way in order to avoid getting hit by Favors.

After 10 minutes, an officer used a PIT maneuver in the 6500 block of 15th Street North to stop Favors in the stolen squad car. Favors then got out of the vehicle, ran up to an Oakdale Public Works truck, dove through an open window and attempted to put the truck in gear. At this point, police caught up with Favors and took him into custody.

A fire department EMT who spoke with Favors after the incident said he mentioned to Favors how his actions endangered innocent people, to which Favors responded "he did not care and was going to take anyone in the area with him."

In a later interview, Favors' girlfriend told police she and Favors were arguing earlier that day when Favors talked "about killing himself and suicide by cop." When they got to the park, he told her to get out of the car. Once she did, he drove at her, forcing her to jump out of the way.

Favors appeared in court on Wednesday, during which a judge set bail at $50,000 with no conditions, or $10,000 with conditions.