2 officer-involved shootings kill 2 people hours apart in the Twin Cities area Friday

Police killed two people just hours apart in the Twin Cities area Friday.

The most recent one happened Friday night in Shakopee. 

There, police say they responded to a fire alarm call to a house and a man came to the front door with a handgun. When he raised it to the primary officer who responded, that officer then fired.

In the video, police showed up and you can see they’re trying to get the door open. It happened right across the street from Beatriz Vera and the scene out her front window was certainly unsettling.

“Yeah, it was terrifying,” Vera said. “I honestly couldn’t sleep, I didn’t get much sleep last night because I was just really worried.”

It began Friday night, when Shakopee Police responded to a house on the 800 block of Apgar Street for a fire alarm call.

It caught Vera’s attention because the first squad car came in with its lights on. Then, she saw a second squad right after it.

“A few moments later I heard someone shout, like a ‘Stop,’ something really loud, and then boom, boom, boom, shots were fired,” Vera said.

According to police, a man responded to the front door holding a handgun. When he raised it, pointing it at the main officer, that officer fired. The man later died at the hospital.

“Then, a few moments later, everybody showed up, more cops, sheriff, fire department, everybody was here,” Vera said.

Investigators, including the BCA, were on scene until mid-morning. Police say the whole incident all captured on officer’s body cameras. A handgun was recovered from the scene.

Police haven’t identified the man who was killed. Beatriz says there’s only one person who lives there.

“He’s a quiet individual,” Vera said. “It doesn’t make sense how this could have happened.”

The officer who fired is a 12-year veteran of the Shakopee Police Department.  He’s on a standard administrative leave.

Minneapolis officer-involved shooting

A Minneapolis man died from injuries Friday after an officer-involved shooting. 

According to Minneapolis Police, officers responded to a call of a suicidal person at 37th St. N and Morgan Avenue N. in the Folwell neighborhood of Minneapolis Friday afternoon.

When two officers arrived, a male came out of a house with a weapon. Officers fired on the suspect.

The male was transported to North Memorial Hospital with what police thought were non life-threatening injuries. The man died at the hospital, which an MPD spokesman called "unfortunate and sad." 

MPD also confirmed that body cameras were rolling at the time of the incident.

The Minnesota BCA has taken over the investigation.