'Amazing man' lost in mishap at Lakeville home construction site
LAKEVILLE, Minn. (KMSP) - A construction worker passed away Thursday after catching on fire in an accident at a new home construction site in Lakeville, Minn. The worker was identified Friday as Chris Cahoon.
"Chris was an amazing man," his fiancee, Nichole, said in a statement. "He was kind, loving, and would have done anything for his friends and family. We are all absolutely heartbroken over this and our lives will be forever changed."
The Lakeville fire chief said Cahoon went into the basement of the home, where propane heaters were running for an upcoming concrete pour. Something caught fire and Cahoon suffered severe burns. He was rushed to Hennepin County Medical Center’s burn unit, but later passed away.
This is the third workplace death in the city of Lakeville since June, according to OSHA. On June 30, a trench collapsed on a contractor installing drain tile, and on Nov. 11 a worker was pulled into a roller at a manufacturing plant.
OSHA is investigating the incident and had an inspector at the construction site Friday.