(KMSP) - Eight Minnesota schools were named National Blue Ribbon Schools for 2018, the U.S. Department of Education announced Wednesday.
The honor is based on the school's overall academic excellence or progress in closing achievement gaps among student groups.
The recognized schools from Minnesota are:
• Buffalo Lake-Hector-Stewart Elementary School, Buffalo Lake-Hector-Stewart Schools
• Canby Elementary School, Canby Public Schools
• Fertile-Beltrami Elementary School, Fertile-Beltrami School District
• Maple River East Elementary School, Maple River Schools
• Red Rock Central Secondary School, Red Rock Central Public School District
• School of Engineering and Arts, Robbinsdale Area Schools
• Vandyke Elementary School, Greenway Public Schools
• Wayzata Central Middle School, Wayzata Public Schools
The department will celebrate with all honorees at an awards ceremony Nov. 7 & 8 in Washington, D.C.