ORONO, Minn. (KMSP) - Orono police have made an arrest in connection to the threat made on social media that led to a lockdown at Orono Schools, according to the school district website.
In a press conference, Police Chief Correy Farniok said at 10:57 a.m. officers learned of two threats posted on Facebook and Twitter stating there would a shooting at noon at Orono schools. Orono Schools enacted lockdown procedures at 11:15 a.m. Wednesday under the advisement of the police.
When police learned the threat was sent from inside the school, they decided to keep the students one hour after the usual dismissal.
At the high school, one juvenile was arrested on suspicion of terroristic threats. Charges are pending. There is also one other person of interest in the case. Police are still investigating his possible link to the case.
"This is the reasoning why we went into the lockdown procedure at that time," said Chief Farniok. "Due to the fact, with this still being fresh in our minds of the tragedy that occurred last week, we want to take all precautions to make sure students, staff and the community was safe."
The lockdown has been lifted and there is no threat to the students. School will be held tomorrow as scheduled. There will also be a police presence in every building.
The Hennepin County sheriff's office and the FBI are assisting with the investigation.
All after-school and evening athletics, activities, classes and meetings have been canceled. Old Crystal Bay Road is also shut down.
This is the second threat Orono Schools has encountered in the last 24 hours. On Tuesday night, police became aware of a post on a social media site that was deemed threatening in nature. After talking to those involved, police determined there was no threat to students and staff.