BARRON, Wis. (KMSP) - Authorities are dropping the 24/7 ground operation as the search for missing Barron, Wisconsin teenager Jayme Closs continues.
The Barron County Sheriff’s Department said Thursday they have transitioned their emergency operations center from a 24/7 reactive operation to a “more deliberate and methodical effort to progress the investigation.”
Sheriff Chris Fitzgerald said the decision was based on a declining number of tips. As of Wednesday, the authorities have received more than 2,000 tips and closed 1,875 of them.
Thirteen-year-old Jayme has been missing since Monday, Oct. 15 following the death of her parents, who were found shot dead in their home in Barron. Deputies were called to the home shortly after midnight that day after receiving a 911 call. When they arrived, they discovered the bodies of Denise and James Closs, but Jayme was already gone.
Fitzgerald emphasized the search for Jayme remains ongoing.
“We will continue to actively work this challenging investigation, but again, I want to thank everyone across the country for all of the help so far, through your tips, messages of hope, support and prayers,” he said in a statement. “However, none of us our done until we bring Jayme home.”
Authorities are still asking anyone with information related to the case to call the tip line at 1-855-744-3879.