ALEXANDRIA, Minn. (KMSP) - A family barely escaped a house fire in Alexandria, but the young mother suffered serious injuries and is recovering at Hennepin County Medical Center.
In the middle of the night, a fire broke out in their home. If it hadn’t been for the blaring smoke detectors and quick-thinking rescuers, the fire could’ve claimed the lives of a young mother and five children.
“The children knew to get out right away, and by the time the firefighters got to the house, Amanda was unresponsive,” said Angie Burkhalter, Amanda Scott’s sister.
Scott lived in the townhome with her three daughters; a step-son and family friend were also there the night of the fire. She is expected to survive, but her recovery will take time.
Scott was found collapsed in a hallway and was rescued by firefighters. She has second-degree burns throughout her body and third-degree burns on her chest.
“They lost everything - home furnishings, clothing - they went to the neighbors with the clothes on their back," Burkhalter said. “A lot of friends and strangers have come together - which we are very grateful for - and gotten kids clothing, school backpacks and supplies."
Burkhalter said the support is holding them up, and the thought of what could've been, is pulling them together.
“I would just like to thank the firefighters, the EMT and all the people who helped,” she said. “Two minutes later, and Amanda wouldn't have survived...they just did an amazing job, amazing job."
Investigators know the fire started in the kitchen, but they haven't been able to determine the exact cause just yet.
Scott's family has set up a GoFund Me account for those who’d like to help.