(KMSP) - Security screening at the U.S. Bank Stadium will be significantly heightened for the Super Bowl, officials said, lengthening the amount of time many fans will have to spend outside in extreme cold.
Though not necessarily a surprise, authorities are urging people to dress warm and arrive at security screening check-points early. Screening is scheduled to begin at 1:00 p.m.--several hours ahead of kick off.
"Philadelphia and New England coaches have done their Xs and Os," said Richard Thornton, with the FBI. "They've developed their game plans. Now the players must execute. Law enforcement is the same thing. We planned, we trained--it is gametime for us. We are ready to take care of anything that comes our way."
As law enforcement prepares for the event, they're asking spectators to prepare for Sunday as well. One of the ways they are asking people to prepare is by reviewing what kind of bags can be brought into the stadium and to look at the list of prohibited items before heading to the game.
Small clutch bags, 4.5” x 6.5”, with our without a strap, will be allowed in the stadium. Bags that are clear plastic or vinyl and do not exceed 12” x 6” x 12” and one-gallon clear plastic freezer bags will also be permitted. All items carried will be inspected and potentially not permitted into the stadium.
Small cameras and binoculars will be allowed.
Prohibited bags include, but are not limited to purses or clutches larger than 4.5” x 6.5”, coolers, briefcases, backpacks, fanny packs, cinch bags/draw string bags that are not clear or exceed 12”x 6” x 12”, luggage of any kind, computer bags, binocular cases and camera bags, and large traditional seat cushions that have pockets, zippers, compartments or covers, the NFL announced.
Cameras with lenses more than six inches long will not be permitted. Camcorders will be prohibited. Although small cameras and binoculars will be allowed into the stadium, cases for both items are prohibited.
Other prohibited Items at Super Bowl LII:
(The following list was provided by the NFL. It is a guide and is not intended to be all-inclusive.)
- Alcohol (unless it is purchased at an NFL venue)
- Animals (except assistive animals)
- Banners, signs (objects that obstruct views for other spectators)
- Battery operated clothing (socks, jackets, etc.)
- Beach balls or inflatable devices (balloons)
- Beverage (unless purchased at an NFL venue)
- Cigarettes, e-cigarettes, all smoking devices
- Containers of any type (aerosol cans, coolers, bottles, etc.)
- Drones, unmanned aerial vehicles (UAV)
- Food (unless purchased at an NFL venue)
- Illegal substances
- Laptop computers
- Laser lights and pointers
- Mace/pepper spray
- Motorized scooters and skateboards (with the exception of ADA scooters)
- Noisemakers and horns
- Poles, sticks, missile like objects of any kind
- Selfie sticks
- Firearms, weapons, knives and explosives