ST. PAUL, Minn. (KMSP) - The Minnesota State Fair announced plans Monday to celebrate the life of Prince on Friday, Aug. 26 from 5 p.m. to close. The event is called "Unite in Purple."
"Just like Prince, the State Fair brings people together, and together we will join in a State Fair-sized celebration of the life of Minnesota's beloved icon," a press release stated. "Everyone who attends is encouraged to wear purple as a tribute to our famed native son."
After Charlie Wilson and Fantasia's show at the Grandstand, the evening will conclude with fireworks set entirely to Prince music, featuring a special pyrotechnic Prince tribute.
State Fair visitors on Aug. 26 after 5 p.m. will experience:
• Prince music, tributes and cover songs at stages throughout the fairgrounds
• A Fireworks Spectacular sponsored by Mazda featuring a Prince tribute
• A sea of fair visitors in purple and Prince gear
• A Prince Party in the Park with music and dancing led by GenerationNOW's DJ Dudley D, Prince's personal DJ, at Carousel Park
• Lavender lighting on iconic fair buildings and carnival rides
• A one-night-only Lasertainment's Laser Hitz show featuring a Prince finale
• Unite in Purple glow bracelets for the first 5,000 guests through the gates after 5 p.m.
• Unite in Purple buttons for the first 7,500 visitors through the gates after 5 p.m.
For more information about Unite in Purple, click here.