Lindstrom home where women died from CO had sky-high levels -- even outside

Yesterday, two women were found dead from apparent carbon monoxide poisoning in a home in Lindstrom.

The women, both in their 50s, were friends and lived together with their dog for years. Their bodies were found after one of them didn't show up for work.

Backstory: 2 dead in Lindstrom, Minn. after furnace plugged with soot and ice

When police arrived at the home, they could tell right away there was big trouble. An officer saw what looked to be a deceased female on a couch. Inside, the other woman was dead in her bedroom, along with the dog.

Since the symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning are similar to the flu, it's likely the women thought they had the virus.

But crews measured the carbon monoxide levels before going inside, and even outside the home they were sky high.

That sad news raised questions about how such a thing could happen.

When you look at your chimney, it should be clear of any ice or snow, but that clearly wasn't the case on the roof of the home where the woman died. While the exact malfunction that led to the deaths isn't yet known, experts say it appears the home might've had a defective vent or incorrect gas pressures.

Matt Brust of Pronto Heating and Cooling says, "In any sort of exhaust, like from a furnace, you're going to have some water vapor, and... it will work its way up with that hot exhaust, and once it reaches these sub-zero temperatures it can right away turn into ice."

In addition to the faulty furnace there were absolutely no carbon monoxide detectors or smoke alarms in the home.

Experts say it's also important to have your furnace checked annually.

Up Next:

  • Popular

  • Recent

Stories you may be interested in – includes advertiser stories