Despite some technical difficulties and an overwhelmed website, the Hennepin Theatre Trust managed to sell out its 2018-'19 season at the Orpheum Theater Wednesday amid momentous interest in its two headlining shows: Tony award winning "Hamilton" and "Dear Evan Hansen."
Promptly after beginning online sales for the eight-show season at 10:00 a.m. Wednesday, the Hennepin Theatre Trust's website went down due to heavy traffic. By noon, however, the site was back up and all of the 5,000 season tickets being offered had been sold.
Officials said they were expecting heavy traffic but ultimately were shocked by the response, showing definitively that the Twin Cities is a hub for people interested in theater.
Later in the year individual show tickets will be offered, though the Hennepin Theater Trust says it's already working to make sure their online system can handle the increased interest from this year's shows.
The slate of shows boasts 33 Tony Awards in total, including this year's "Best Revival" of a musical for "Hello, Dolly."
This season's "Broadway on Hennepin" schedule is as follows:
- HAMILTON, Aug. 29-Oct. 7, 2018
- A BRONX TALE – THE NEW MUSICAL, Feb. 19-24, 2019
- CHARLIE AND THE CHOCOLATE FACTORY, March 6-17, 2019
- HELLO, DOLLY!, April 16-28, 2019
- ON YOUR FEET!, Jan. 22-27, 2019
- THE PLAY THAT GOES WRONG, May 7-12, 2019
- DEAR EVAN HANSEN, May 28-June 9, 2019
- FIDDLER ON THE ROOF, July 30-Aug. 4, 2019
For more information on the shows and the Hennepin Theatre Trust, visit their website here.