Charges: St. Paul man killed girlfriend, chanted 'demon, demon'

- St. Paul police have arrested a man in connection to his girlfriend's murder early Sunday morning. 

Police responded to the scene at 956 St. Paul Avenue around 2 a.m. where they found the suspect and the victim.

The suspect, 29-year-old Andre Antwan Duprey is charged with second-degree murder.

According to the criminal complaint, when police arrived, Duprey was holding a knife and refused to drop it, chanting "demon, demon." Officers were able to subdue Duprey with a beanbag gun and took him into custody.

Police observed apparent blood spatter and tissue on the suspect's clothing.

After securing the scene, officers found a woman face-down on the bedroom floor, with a large wound to the head. Officers also found a double-barrel shotgun on the bed with blood on the barrel of the gun.

The woman has been identified as 28-year-old Phanny Phay of St. Paul.

A witness told police she was staying with her nephew, Duprey, and woke up to a commotion. She said she saw Duprey holding a shotgun to his girlfriend's head. The woman ran from the apartment and called for help.

Duprey's aunt said she and her seven-year-old daughter are in town from Puerto Rico for a reunion.

In an interview with police, Duprey said, "you know, it's crazy," and that he was just having some fun with his family members and didn't remember what happened. He said he didn't get much sleep and that he didn't remember officers coming to his apartment or how he got his injuries from the beanbag gun.

Duprey also denied arguing with his girlfriend and said they didn't have any issues. He said he believes they were talking in the bedroom. He also said he owns firearms, including a shotgun and Glock 22, which he keeps under the bed for "self-defense."

He said he takes medication only for high blood pressure.

When asked what happened after he talked with his girlfriend, Duprey covered his face with his hands and said, "My girlfriend's not ok, is she?" When asked if something happened, Duprey said no. When asked again what happened, Duprey asked, "Is she OK?" He then pleaded the fifth and said he wanted a lawyer.

According to the autopsy, Phay suffered severe head trauma from two shotgun wounds to her head and neck. Facial recognition was not possible. She also had 45 sharp force injuries throughout her body, bruises to her right hand and lacerations that appeared to be defensive wounds.

Up Next:

  • Popular

  • Recent

Stories you may be interested in – includes advertiser stories