Demand for video in Minneapolis police-involved shooting

- Black Lives Matter Minneapolis held a news conference at the Minneapolis Police Department Fourth Precinct Building with a list of demands after a police officer shot an assault suspect early Sunday morning. Specifically, the group asked the names of the officers involved and surveillance video from nearby businesses.

The NAACP identified the man shot by police as Jamar Clark. Police shot the assault suspect after he reportedly hindered paramedics from administering aid to his girlfriend early Sunday morning. Police said preliminary reports indicate he was not in handcuffs when he was shot, but advocacy group Black Lives Matter Minneapolis said neighbors are disputing that information. PHOTOS - Protest at 4th Precinct.

The group’s list of demands:

1. Footage from the incident
2. An independent organization to investigate
3. Media to cover witness testimony, not just police point of view
4. Community oversight with “full disciplinary power”
5. Officers to live in the communities they serve

At a news conference at City Hall, Minneapolis Police Chief Janee Harteau urged the community to call the Minnesota Bureau of Criminal Apprehension, which is conducting an investigation.

"We need to know the truth," she said. Anyone with information is urged to call the BCA at 651-793-7000.

On Sunday, protesters gathered where the shooting took place and marched to the Fourth Precinct, led by organizers with the Minneapolis NAACP and Black Lives Matter.

Black Lives Matter Minneapolis is demanding #JusticeforJamar on social media, which continues to buzz after neighbors reported he was handcuffed while shot and shot "execution style," conflicting with the police account of the incident. The group doesn't know if Clark is alive, or if he was armed.

Witnesses said Clark and his girlfriend were at a birthday party at an apartment along Plymouth Ave/ N. Saturday night when they got into a fight.

"The guy was pinned down on ground, he wasn't fighting, he wasn't screaming or anything. The next thing we know, about a minute later after watching it, the gun went off. That's what I saw. But the guy was not fighting back,” witness Teto Wilson said.

“I can't understand from my viewpoint exactly the frustration, but I understand they are frustrated. We are doing the best we can to have an independent process; one that can have an outcome that will be trusted,” Mayor Hodges said.

Until then, protesters say they'll continue to hit the streets, but "Justice for Jamar" isn't as simple as black or white.

“Everybody out here last night who said they saw it or have video on their cell phone. They need to step up right now,” one protester said.

Per Minneapolis police:

At about 12:45 a.m., police responded to a report of an assault on the 1600 block of Plymouth Ave. N. near James Ave. N. While en route, police learned the call had become a “HELP” call, as described by police in their news release, and the assault suspect had returned to the area, “confronting paramedics and disrupting their ability to render aid.” It's unclear what prompted the initial assault report.

The officers and the suspect were engaged in a physical altercation and at some point, an officer “discharged his weapon striking the suspect.” Police contend he was not in handcuffs. Another ambulance arrived and transported him to Hennepin County Medical Center, where he is being treated. His exact condition has not been released.

The two officers involved the shooting are on paid administrative leave, per department policy. Their identities have not been released.

Up Next:

  • Popular

  • Recent

Stories you may be interested in – includes advertiser stories