After recent attacks, lawmakers push for greater security at US Bank Stadium

- The attack in New York is very much on the minds of state lawmakers as they review the security at US Bank Stadium. 

Two new firms are in place after the stadium operator fired Monterrey Security earlier this fall.

Now, lawmakers want the new MSFA chair and the board to make sure they're performing regular audits.

In the upcoming SuperBowl, Homeland Security and the NFL will be in charge of security. 

Lawmakers still want to make sure US Bank Stadium is safe for every other event. 

Tuesday’s terror strike in New York and October's massacre in Las Vegas may have been far away, but they’re still too close for Minnesota lawmakers.

"I just want you to keep in mind the folks in New York and the victims of Vegas as we talk about the issue of security and making sure Minnesotans are safe," said Representative Sarah Anderson, state government finance chair.  

Safety continues to be concern at US Bank after the stadium fired Monterrey Security and the state revoked its license.

The decision came after the state board of private detectives and agent services found 29 Monterrey Security agents had disqualifying records – and one with an active warrant.

Today the new chair of the sports facilities authority promised closer scrutiny of the two new security firms.

"Let me tell you very clearly, there is strong oversight right now and there will continue to be," MSFA Chair Mike Vekich said.

But, lawmakers still want answers about Monterrey, especially on evidence of overbilling.

The MSFA’s investigation found Monterrey billed out the time at a Guns ‘n’ Roses concert for 200 employees and that it had previously been listed as terminated. 49 employees appeared twice on the bill.
 
Representative Mark Uglem considers it fraud.

“We have engaged a forensic accountant and they are continuing along the lines here," Uglem said.

Monterrey Security's original contract was approved without the consent of the MSFA board. 

Rep. Anderson is now contemplating new legislation to make sure that never happens again.

“I think we need to put a framework in place from the legislative side of things that with this dollar figure you have to have an actual vote. It's got to be recorded, there's got to be some discussion by the board to help them understand what their role and responsibility is in providing oversight."  

It turns out the firing of Monterrey Security and its decertification in Minnesota was just the beginning.
    
Two weeks ago the Buffalo Bills also fired Monterrey after New York pulled its license. Now, there are reports the state of Illinois is launching its own investigation into Monterrey's work at Soldier Field and other venues.

Monterrey Security released the following statement:

"We are proud of our 18-year record as an independent, minority-owned business. While our expansion led to some administrative mistakes on our part, those are now being used as an excuse for selective enforcement against the only minority-owned security firm in the NFL.”

Up Next:


  • Popular

  • Recent

Stories you may be interested in – includes advertiser stories