Man robbed in Minneapolis alleges suspects were only 11

- A North Minneapolis man was robbed at gunpoint while he was walking to a convenience store on Monday night. And the victim said the attackers might have been as young as 11-years-old.

Speaking less than 24 hours after the incident, the victim said the entire experience was surreal, adding he didn’t know what to think when it was happening.

"It’s all over the spectrum from fear to anger, but for the most part it’s numbness," the victim said. "I would be troubled about it if it were adults, but the fact that it’s children that should be home playing and having a good life and going to school. It’s just surprising."

The victim said he was walking to a convenience store when he spotted a group of kids hanging out near 37th and Fremont Avenue North. He said he passed the group on the other side of the street before crossing to the same side when he got close to the store -- and that's when he heard them run up behind him. He was hit in the head twice.

"They told me to empty out my pockets and brandished what looked to me to be a gun."

Fearing for his safety, the victim said he gave the half-dozen teenagers, who looked like they were between 11 and 16-years-old, his cell phone before they ran off.

"What kind of world are we coming to when you have to really look out for 12, 13, 14-year-olds. We're in a lot of trouble."

The victim has already replaced his stolen cell phone. But his sense of safety in the neighborhood he calls home will be much more difficult to restore.

"I want it to stop. I want people to raise their children. You just don't strong arm rob people in the street. It’s just not right. When I have the opportunity, I'll be moving too."

Minneapolis Police say they are investigating this latest case, but so far they haven't made any arrests.


  • Popular

  • Recent

Stories you may be interested in – includes advertiser stories