MINNEAPOLIS (KMSP) - A judge issued a decision Tuesday in regards to the Black Lives Matter protest planned for Wednesday at the Mall of America. The mall wanted a temporary restraining order -- the order changes a few things, but leaves the basics intact.
The Mall of America, considered private property under the law, can still bar anyone from protesting there Wednesday, which has been true all along and doesn't change.
What does change is three Black Lives Matter leaders are being told in advance that they’re barred from protesting there Wednesday through a "temporary restraining order." The judge did not bar all unidentified Black Lives Matter protesters in advance.
The mall has the legal right to bar protesters when and if they do protest there on Wednesday. This order does not grant anyone permission to protest.
In another ruling on last year's protest, Hennepin County's chief judge pointed out that mall security and police allowed the protest to continue for about thirty minutes before cracking down. And that's why he dismissed some charges. So, much more important than the legal document released Tuesday, will be how the mall and police act at Wednesday’s protest.
Judge: not enough time to consider barring unidentified individuals from MOA. However, ruling does NOT give them permission to protest.— Ted Haller (@TedHallerFox9) December 22, 2015
To be clear: judge is not telling BLM protesters they can protest at MOA. She's just not issuing restraining order. MOA is private property.— Ted Haller (@TedHallerFox9) December 22, 2015
To put MOA ruling simply, it BARS 3 BLM leaders from protesting, but NOT all of BLM. It does NOT bar anything on social media.— Ted Haller (@TedHallerFox9) December 22, 2015
The MOA order says MN Supreme Court case, called Wicklund, holding MOA is private property, stands. MOA can still ban protest tomorrow.— Ted Haller (@TedHallerFox9) December 22, 2015
Another way to look at this. Judge is barring 3 people from MOA under the law. But MOA can bar whoever they want, using actions.— Ted Haller (@TedHallerFox9) December 22, 2015
I must give kudos to the judge (and most definitely, her law clerk) who wrote the 29-page temporary restraining order within 24 hours!— Ted Haller (@TedHallerFox9) December 22, 2015