1 dead after assault in South Minneapolis

- A 28-year-old man is dead after an assault in South Minneapolis Wednesday night.

Police say they responded to a report of an assault involving a knife on the 3000 block of Clinton Ave S. where they found a man on the front steps of an apartment building who had been stabbed multiple times.

Officers provided medical treatment until paramedics arrived. The victim was then transported to HCMC where he died from his injuries. Friends told Fox 9 the victim was 28-year-old Elias Benjamin Lopez.  A GoFundMe page has been set up for Elias Lopez at this link.

After gathering information from the neighborhood, police were able locate a suspect who was taken into custody without incident.

19-year-old Robinson Palacios-Castro was booked into the Hennepin County Jail on a charge of probable cause murder.

Josue Lopez was coming home from work Wednesday night, when he encountered the scene. He had made Thanksgiving Day plans with his good friend Elias.

“I didn't know until I got to the hospital that he got stabbed in his heart, it was deep, that's what the nurse said,” said Josue. “And they were trying to repair it.”

At 2 a.m., Josue got the news.

“The doctor came to us and the doctor say ‘we did all, but he didn't survive,’” he said.

Now, a candle and flowers left on Elias' front stoop. What remains are the recent memories Josue spent fishing at the lake, learning and socializing with his cuate - Spanish slang for buddy.

“One of my family is gone,” he said.

 

 

Up Next:


  • Popular

  • Recent

Stories you may be interested in – includes advertiser stories