Restraining orders against 5 Gophers football players dismissed

- The restraining orders against five University of Minnesota football players were dismissed Wednesday after a settlement agreement was reached between the alleged victim, the players and the university.

As part of the settlement, the players agreed to have absolutely no contact with the victim until she graduates from the U of M. For their part, the university says it will inform its police and security officers at TCF Bank Stadium about the court order and ensure the players stay away from the victim at all home games.  The victim is a part of the Gophers home football game operations.

"I’m glad this is over," the victim said in a statement after the settlement was announced. "This has never been about punishing anyone. I just wanted to feel safe. Because of this resolution we came to, now I can.”

The players are now eligible to play in Saturday’s game against Purdue University.

Ray Buford, KiAnte Hardin, Dior Johnson, Carlton Djam and Tamarion Johnson were all served restraining orders last month. The orders blocked the players from entering TCF Bank Stadium on game days, where the victim worked as part of Gophers home football game operations.

The players were in court on Wednesday to fight the restraining orders. A settlement was reached after 75 minutes of closed-door meetings.

The victim took the stand in court on Wednesday morning. She said hearing the players’ names over the loudspeaker and seeing them on the Jumbotron was very traumatizing for her.

The university's student conduct investigation into the incident is ongoing. 

Up Next:


  • Popular

  • Recent

Stories you may be interested in – includes advertiser stories