Today, a neighbor told Fox 9 that when he got home there were no flames. But when he came out three minutes later to take his dog out, the first house was engulfed, and he watched the fire spread to other homes as he waited for fire crews to arrive.
BACKSTORY -- Wind-fueled fire in Otsego, Minn. rips through new construction
Three houses were ultimately burned to the ground. A fourth was left a burned-out shell.
Throughout the day today, people came by to see what's left.
"We live four houses away down there, and standing in our driveway we could feel the heat, and that was with the wind behind us," one neighbor said.
Among the visitors was an investigator from the state fire marshal's office.
It's clear the fire began in a home in the final stages of construction. A propane heater still sitting in the front of the concrete porch is of particular interest to investigators, but no firm conclusions have yet been drawn.
It'll be weeks before cause is determined.
Regardless of what set the homes aflame, yesterday's destructive blaze shows what wind can do, and how helpless people can be to contain the damage.