Chef and owner of Smack Shack Josh Thoma showed us how to make one of their special recipes called Shrimp Po'Boy -- a traditional New Orleans sandwich served on a baguette.1 8" French Baguette
1 tbsp Unsalted Butter
10 pc 31/40 Shrimp
2 quarts Canola Oil
4 tbsp Lemon Aioli or Mayonaise
2 ounces Mixed Greens
1 English Cucumber
1 Large Tomato
1 Yellow Onion
2 tbsp Franks's Red Hot Sauce
2 tbsp Red Wine Vinegar
1 tsp Kosher Salt
5 cups Cornstarch
1 ½ cups All-Purpose Flour
1 ¼ cups Cold Water
3 Whole Large Eggs
½ cup Franks's Red Hot Sauce
1 tbsp Cajun Seasoning
1 tbsp Old Bay Seasoning
1. Combine shrimp batter ingredients in a large mixing bowl and mix thoroughly until batter is smooth. Batter should be quite thick.
2. Slice tomato into ¼ inch slices.
3. Slice onion into very thin slices.
4. Cut ends off cucumber and cut in half. Cut lengthwise into thin slices.
5. Cut baguette in half lengthwise and spread inside with butter.
6. Heat canola oil in a heavy bottom pot or small fryer to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
7. Drop shrimp in the batter and coat thoroughly.
8. Drop coated shrimp into fryer oil individually. Shrimp should fry separately to avoid them sticking together. Fry shrimp for 3 minutes or until shrimp turns golden brown.
9. Remove shrimp from oil and toss with a little salt.
10. While shrimp is frying, toast buttered baguette on flattop grill or large saute pan.
11. Arrange fried shrimp on bottom half of baguette. Drizzle with hot sauce.
12. Spread aioli on top bun.
13. Lay cucumber slices over aioli.
14. Top with mixed greens, sliced tomatos, and sliced onions.
15. Sprinkle with salt and drizzle with red wine vinegar.
16. Fold top bun over bottom bun arrangement.
17. Cut in half and enjoy!