4-year-old girl rescued from St. Paul fire dies at hospital

A 4-year-old girl was rescued by St. Paul firefighters and taken to the hospital with serious injuries Sunday evening, but she later died at the hospital. Ntshialiag Yang had just celebrated her 4th birthday on Jan. 31.

The fire broke out at 595 Jessamine Avenue E., just east of Interstate 35E off of Maryland Avenue, before 9 p.m. Sunday. Inside, 8 family members spanning 3 generations. Three family members were treated on-scene for various levels of smoke inhalation.

St. Paul Fire Marshal Steve Zaccard said the girl suffered serious smoke inhalation. Her father, Dao "Peter" Yang, a former Minneapolis High School teacher, saved 4 of his daughters, his wife and his elderly mother, but he couldn't find Ntshialiag. All surviving family members were released from the hospital Monday afternoon.

"He went back inside so many times. He consumed so much carbon monoxide, it got into his bloodstream. Level 7 at the hospital and he got burned," Yang's brother Michael Yang said.

"I said you don't have to feel bad. God gave you the privilege to save 6 other people. We lost one of the most beautiful girls. But thank god, the little one he was able to save," Yang's brother said.

This marks the first fire-related death of 2015 in St. Paul.

"He's an incredible guy, He went in there and got 6 other people out. And he didn't think about himself," Michael Yang added.

How to help the family: Click here for benefit fund 


  • Popular

  • Recent

Stories you may be interested in – includes advertiser stories