The man who called the Fox 9 newsroom during a 6-hour standoff with police and SWAT in Fridley, Minn. was charged Friday with assault and felony gun possession.
How it started
The Dec. 30 incident started when the Hennepin County Violent Crimes Task Force was trying to find Eugene Boos, who had violated terms of his supervised release. Boos had served time in prison for a second-degree murder conviction in 1994, but was found to be running a meth lab and possessing multiple guns.
While police were searching for Boos, a call came in to Fridley police around 12:30 p.m., requesting a child welfare check at the Island Drive Park Apartments, which escalated into the 6-hour standoff. The Fox 9 newsroom was made aware of the situation when a woman called our assignment desk, hung up, and Boos called back.
On the phone with Fox 9
Boos introduced himself to us as "Larry from Las Vegas," and stayed on the phone with Fox 9 for 76 minutes. A woman with him said she wasn't being held against her will, but didn't want to leave the apartment because she was afraid police would shoot him.
"I don't want to come out, do you understand?" the woman told police. "If I go out, you guys are going to rush in here. He's got a handgun, you guys are going to shoot him."
Barricaded inside of the building, Boos continued yelling at police, saying he wanted them to back off and needed time and space to say his goodbyes. Toward the end of the call -- shortly after 2 p.m. -- shots rang out, and Boos claimed he had been shot in the hand by police as the woman screamed.
"Hey channel 9 news [...] dude they shot me for no reason. They shot my f****** finger off. They blew my f****** finger off. They shot me in my f****** hand," he continued.
VIDEO - Standoff suspect calls Fox 9
Boos leaves on stretcher, no one else injured
Eden Prairie police arrived at Fox 9 to guide us to the conclusion, and a Hennepin County deputy got on the phone line. At that point, Boos hung up, apparently wanting nothing to do with the police.
Law enforcement from Hennepin County and Fridley remained on-scene, attempting to get Boos to surrender, and he ultimately left on a stretcher around 7 p.m. Residents of other units in the building were evacuated, and the woman with him and the children are safe.
Eugene Boos is charged with the following crimes:
- First-degree assault against a peace officer (3 counts)
- Second-degree assault (3 counts)
- Possession of a pistol by a prohibited person (3 counts)
Bail was set at $3 million. His next court appearance is scheduled for Feb. 4.
"We are grateful that no one was killed," said Anoka County Attorney Tony Palumbo. "Law enforcement did an outstanding job of resolving this dangerous situation."