Mixed Blood forced to cancel party at Paisley Park

- All public events have been banned at Prince’s Paisley Park for the foreseeable future, including a late-night party planned by Mixed Blood Theatre for Saturday, May 14.

Mixed Blood Theatre Company was set to host its 40th Anniversary Gala at Paisley Park next Saturday, followed by a Prince tribute dance after-party in honor of the late singer. Paisley Park staff reportedly assured Mixed Blood last week that “Prince wanted this event to happen.”

THE STORY - Party at Paisley Park still planned for May 14

On Friday night, ticket holders were notified by email the event had been canceled.

In the email, Mixed Blood managing director Amanda White Thietje said Bremer Trust, the court-appointed representative of Prince’s estate has banned all public events at Paisley Park for the time being. 

“This news has shocked and dismayed Mixed Blood's staff and Board, and I have no doubt that it is also very upsetting to you,” White said in the email. “With eight days remaining before the event, there is so little time to cancel or change flights, return the outfit you bought or rented, and manage the disappointment of not experiencing that space on that evening, celebrating Mixed Blood's first forty years and dancing to Prince's music.”

Approximately 1,000 people were expected to attend the sold-out Mixed Blood events, according to the Star Tribune. Mixed Blood is offering refunds for all ticket holders.

“This will have a significant emotional and financial impact on Mixed Blood this season,” White said. “We are so sorry for any loss you have incurred, as well. Thank you for your incredible support of Mixed Blood Theatre, and for making this exceptional effort to be there with us on May 14th. We will never forget it.”

Memorial service for Prince

Prince's six surviving siblings - Alfred Jackson, John Nelson, Norrine Nelson, Omarr Baker, Sharon Nelson, and Tyka Nelson - issued a statement Friday regarding the plans for an official memorial service and public event for the singer. 

"We would like everyone to know that, contrary to previous and current reports, there has been no memorial, funeral or tribute service for Prince that was organized or authorized by the family or Paisley Park representatives. Together, the family is planning an official memorial service and public event to take place in the near future. Prince and his music influenced so many people that we feel inspired to celebrate his life and legacy in just the right way. We appreciate the public’s patience and have been comforted by your outpouring of love, support and condolences. We look forward to sharing with the world this celebration of, and farewell to, our Prince. Details will be coming soon."

Prince death investigation

Prince Rogers Nelson, 57, died Thursday, April 21 at his home at Paisley Park in Chanhassen, Minn. He was found unresponsive in an elevator by a staff member around 9:30 a.m. after family and friends called in a welfare check.

The Carver County sheriff’s office, the U.S. Attorney’s office and the U.S. Drug Enforcement Administration are investigating Prince’s death.

The Midwest Medical Examiner will release the singer’s official cause of death, but results could take several weeks.

LATEST - Judge authorizes DNA testing of Prince's blood for estate case

Up Next:


  • Popular

  • Recent

Stories you may be interested in – includes advertiser stories