Family out volunteering for food shelf while fire destroys home

- A Wisconsin family has to rebuild their house from the ground up after it was destroyed in a fire while they were on their way to volunteer for a local food shelf.

“Everything that we knew was all in that house but now there's nothing left,” Dylan Martin said.

The family of seven has lived in the 2,200 square-foot home for the past six years. 

“I was really emotional because everything that we had," Dylan Martin said.

The family was on their way to church on Wednesday to teach confirmation and collect donations for a local food shelf when they received the phone call their house was on fire.

“Our neighbors were frantically saying, 'Your house is on fire, your house is on fire!” Tracy Stark said. 

“I'll be honest I sped, and I had to stop at one point because the kids were crying in the back seat. And I said you know what we're all here. We're all fine,” Jason Stark said.

Sadly, not all of the family pets made it out. Two dogs, one cat and their chinchilla all died in the fire. Their two pet turtles survived. 

Nine-year-old Lyndsey is glad it wasn’t worse.

“We actually have at least people.. Our whole entire family, because if it was night and someone burned in there I would be really upset,” Lyndsey said.

The electrical fire started in the dining room and officials say there’s about $350,000 in damages.

If you would like to help the family, a GoFundMe has been set up.


  • Popular

  • Recent

Stories you may be interested in – includes advertiser stories