The family of a Minnesota girl who got sick from E. coli after visiting a petting zoo has filed a lawsuit against the pumpkin patch where it happened. Emma Heidish suffered kidney failure and spent several weeks in the hospital after the October 2013 trip to Dehn's Pumpkins in Dayton, Minn.
Emma was 7-years-old at the time. Two other children also got sick, but recovered at home. The law firm Pritzker-Olsen is filing the civil lawsuit, alleging unsanitary conditions contributing to Emma's illness.
The E. coli strain that caused Emma's infection, E. coli 0157, is a type that is made worse by antibiotics. Within days, her kidneys were threatening to fail and she spent weeks in the intensive care unit before she was strong enough to return home.
Dehn's Pumpkins had no comment on the lawsuit.
HOME & HEALING: 7-year-old sickened by E. coli returns to school