(KMSP) - Christina Meyer-Jax stopped by the studio to offer some new recipes.
Black Bean, Avocado, and Corn Salad with Chipotle Lime Sauce
Adapted from: Crazy Vegan Kitchen
1 can S&W® 50% reduced sodium black beans (drained and rinsed)
1 cup thawed frozen Corn Kernels
1 cup halved Cherry Tomatoes
1 Avocado, diced
1/2 a Red Onion, diced finely
1/3 cup finely chopped Cilantro
1. In a large bowl, combine Black Beans, Corn, Tomatoes, Avocado, Red Onion and chopped Cilantro. Gently mix all the ingredients together, and try to bruise the Avocado as little as possible.
2. Add Chipotle Lime Sauce (recipe above) to your Black Bean mixture.
3. Stir gently to distribute sauce and then check for seasoning and adjust accordingly.
4. Salad is best served room temperature and will keep in the refrigerator for up to 2 days if stored in an air tight box.
Options: Add it to salad, or bake in zucchini boats.
Chocolate Black Bean Mug Cake
Recipe from: Christina Meyer-Jax MS, RDN
¼ cup S&W black beans
1 Tbsp old fashioned or quick cooking oats
1 Tbsp cocoa powder
2 tsp maple syrup
1 tsp unsweetened almond milk
1 tsp Mazola® Corn Oil, can also use for greasing the mug
½ tsp vanilla or almond extract
¼ tsp baking powder
3 strawberries sliced or raspberries with mint sprig (optional)
Powdered sugar- lightly sprinkled (optional)
1. In a blender (or food processor), combine the ingredients and process until smooth.
2. Pour into a lightly greased coffee mug.
3. Microwave for 1 to 2 minutes, depending on the power of your microwave. Start with 1 minute, and continue 30 seconds at a time until it is firm in the center.
4. Let cool for 5 minutes before removing from the mug.
5. Serve, topped with strawberry slices.