Burnt Easy Mac forces Iowa Capitol evacuation

The Iowa State Capitol building was evacuated Monday morning after someone burned a dish of Easy Mac in the microwave. Smoke alarms went off near the Senate chamber just after 11 a.m., and the smoke was traced to a nearby microwave.

Des Moines Register public affairs reporter William Petroski snapped a photo of the overcooked lunch, which quickly became a mid-day favorite on Twitter.

Everyone returned to work at the Capitol after a few minutes.

Up Next:

  • Popular

  • Recent

Stories you may be interested in – includes advertiser stories