Bulldog impaled by stick making amazing recovery

A bulldog named Piglet has made an incredible recovery after a stick she was chasing pierced her tongue and passed into her neck. The 2-year-old bulldog was playing in the woods outside her home Friday evening when the stick she was retrieving got caught in the ground and punctured her neck.

Wyatt Towner and his girlfriend, Lori Landry, put together a makeshift stretcher and rushed Piglet to the vet.

"I was holding her in the back of the truck and I didn't think she was going to make it," Landry said. "It was pretty clear that she was going into shock."

Lucky dog

Piglet was stabilized at her local vet, then underwent surgery at BluePearl in Eden Prairie, Minn. fortunately, the stick that punctured her neck missed the carotid artery, jugular vein, esophagus, trachea and larynx.

"Piglet is a very lucky dog," said Dr. Heather Hadley. "We'll have to continue to monitor her because infection could be an ongoing concern, but she seems to be doing incredibly well at this point."

Piglet is back home and resting comfortably. She is scheduled for a check-up at the vet's office in Blaine, Minn. Friday morning.

Be careful with sticks

Sticks are sharp and dirty, and can cause deep tissue injury and infection.

"They're essentially like dull knives," said Hadley. "I've seen some pretty dramatic wounds resulting from sticks, including a penetrating injury to the heart."

Up Next:

  • Popular

  • Recent

Stories you may be interested in – includes advertiser stories