Residents in Lakeville, Minn. are finding disturbing items in their backyards -- hot dogs full of safety pins, screws, pills and even steel wool, likely targeting their dogs.
Along with safety pins, Lindsay Perez found screws, steel wool, and pills on 205th Court West, a street where dogs freely roam and routinely walk through other people's lawns.
No one knows what these pills are. The vet thinks they're homemade with some sort of rat poison or antifreeze. What's so sinister about this find is that it looks like all these objects were intentionally and meticulously wrapped inside tiny pieces of hot dog meat which ended up inside Perez's two dogs.
Pablo swallowed 11 screws and is still hospitalized. Yogi underwent an emergency procedure on Saturday evening to remove three safety pins lodged inside his throat, and he's recovering at home. Dr. Alexis Wangan treated the dogs at Banfield Pet Hospital in Burnsville before they were moved to Blue Pearl in Eden Prairie.
"If someone didn't know their animal had gotten into contact with this, it could be several days later before the animal gets sick so by then it may be too late," Dr. Wangan said.
Perez isn't the only one. Tess Gustafson found several screws on her property and says neighbors have been warning each other through social media.
"We think it's happening overnight when everyone's in bed and no one's around," Gustafson said.
Lakeville police aren't sure if it's confined to this one area, but is treating this as a criminal investigation.