Hudson, Wis. firefighters saved a man from a smoldering house late Sunday afternoon thanks to his neighbor who reported hearing an alarm.
The Hudson Fire Department responded to 1130 Namekagon Loop at 4:08 p.m. Kip Lomnes had just gotten home from running errands Sunday afternoon when he smelled something burning in the house across the street.
"I knew there was a fire inside. I didn't know how bad or what was in there but I knew the house was on fire," he said.
After telling his wife to call 911, Lomnes ran around the house and heard several smoke alarms as he yelled to see if anyone was inside. He was able to open the front door but the smoke was so thick, he couldn't go in and had to wait for first police and then firefighters to arrive.
Within minutes, the man who lives there came home and told first responders a male relative was in the basement. While other firefighters put out the flames, Aaron Zeuli and Mike Perucca went downstairs, found the man unconscious and pulled him to safety.
"I think he was surprised. It kind of surprised us, too. It's not something you are ready for usually but it was good to see him wake up," Zeuli said.
Investigators say the smoke detectors worked, just not the way they are supposed to. They didn't wake him up, but in this case, someone heard them in time.
Lomnes and his wife say they're no heroes, they were just being good neighbors.