2 dead in Lindstrom, Minn. after furnace plugged with soot and ice

Two women were found dead inside their Lindstrom, Minn. home of apparent carbon monoxide poisoning after it was determined the exhaust pipe of their furnace was plugged with soot and ice.

On Jan. 12 around 2:24 p.m., Lakes Area police responded to a home in the 13100 block of Sylvan Avenue after a caller requested a welfare check on an employee who hadn't been heard from since Thursday.

UPDATE -- Lindstrom home where women died from CO had sky-high levels -- even outside

Police found two women, 53- and 56-years-old, dead inside the home, one of them slumped over on the couch. The women were friends and had lived there for years with their dog, neighbors said.

Preliminary investigation showed "extreme levels" of carbon monoxide and found the furnace was plugged with soot and ice. The initial responding officer was treated at Fairview Lakes Hospital for CO exposure. Even the levels outside the house were exceptionally high.

"In any sort of exhaust like from a furnace you're going to have some water vapor, and in that water vapor it will work it's way up with that hot exhaust and once it reaches these sub zero temperatures it can right away turn into ice," Matt Brust with Pronto Heating and Cooling said. Experts say it's important to have your furnace checked once a year.

Along with the faulty furnace, there were no CO detectors or smoke alarms in the house.

The Lakes Area Police Department and Midwest Medical Examiner's Office are investigating.

  • Popular

  • Recent

Stories you may be interested in – includes advertiser stories